• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high blood pressure and swollen ankles

Posted on Thu, 11 May 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 66 years old and have high blood pressure my doc. gave me 10 mg of norvasc a day and my feet and ankles are swelled up what can I do. I have ask the Dr. to change my meds but said I could live with swelled ankles. I am healthy except fpr high blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are some 'tricks' that may help...

Detailed Answer:

swelling is a common side effect of amlodipine (norvasc). There is absolutely no reason to live with swollen ankles! There are various alternatives to start with and there are some preventive measures to take against swelling.

- you can try taking amlodipine in the evening
- you can take an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor with amlodipine. I don't mean that you should add a second drug if you don't need one of your blood pressure. But if you already take two or more drugs then perhaps your doctor can change one of them to an ACE inhibitor since the combination is linked to less swelling.
- you can reduce the dosage if your blood pressure allows for it.
- you can try an alternative drug: there are many antihypertensive drug classes to choose from.

The diuretics won't provide much relief so there is no reason to take chlorthalidone if that's the only reason you took it.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis