Suggest treatment for high blood pressure and dizziness

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Nov 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I normally suffer from high blood pressure and my GP has now put my on Ramipril 10 mg and bisoporol 2.5mg. My blood pressure has been reasonably OK at about 130/85. Yesterday I did have a dizzy spell with pains everywhere. Now that I check my blood pressure several times last night it is always about 165/115 (I took the tablets that morning). This is the same this morning (before taking my tablets).

Is this anything that I need to worry about.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need extra medication to lower blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

You need extra medication, as 165/115 is high blood pressure. If you have a diuretic at home, such as hydrochlorthiazid, it will be the best solution. If not, take another 5 mg Ramipril.

Come back if you have any further questions
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 21 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. I am concerned that my blood pressure is steadily rising. If this Ramipril and the extra dose that you suggested does not help what is the next step.

Has it spiked because of a minor heart attack. This is my fear
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Don't worry so much. Patients with arterial hypertension may have blood pressure strikes from time to time. It is not a heart attack, unless you have severe chest pain. If you notice that extra dose of Ramipril doesn't help, then you can have some diuretics at home for such cases. Also you can take an extra dose of Bisoprolol if your heart rate is elevated as well, it will decrease both blood pressure and heart rate.

Wishing you good health
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 20 hours later
Just wanted to say thanks very much for helping me calm down. Your answer is very clear and comprehensive.

thanks again
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are always welcome

Detailed Answer: