Suggest treatment for high blood glucose levels

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My glucose level is too high( at 17.0-19.0 sometimes - for the past month) This is just recent. I was hospitalized in XXXXXXX 2014 for chronic pancreatitis for 8 weeks. What should I do? I also have Parkinson's Disease.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Emergency

Detailed Answer:
I strongly advise you to go to the ER (Emergency Room) immediately and preferably have someone escort you there. Ideally call your emergency helpline number.

Running glucoses persistently in this range can result in a life threatening complication of diabetes called hyperglycaemic crisis.

It is very likely you will be given Insulin intensively with close monitoring of your vital signs.