Suggest treatment for high bilirubin levels in urine

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 25 Jan 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello. Went in for right upper quad pain and left chest/shoulder pain. Fever for 10+ hrs but hasn't returned since this am. Bilirubin is high and in urine. High lymphocytes. All other labs normal. Ultrasound in am. Thoughts? Have been followed for high cholesterol and cortisol.

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
some sort of hepatitis is likely

Detailed Answer:

right upper quadrant pain, fever and high bilirubin levels in a young individual suggest hepatitis but other diagnoses are also possible like acute cholangitis for example or even much simpler cases of viral illnesses that also affect the liver and cause a febrile disease with some degree of liver injury (a milder hepatitis that is).

Checking the transaminases and alkaline phosphatase would help a lot to clarify this issue. High transaminases are common in hepatitis while high alkaline phosphatase is common in bile duct disorders. An ultrasound scan will provide additional details.

Management would depend on the results obviously.

If you have any test reports to upload please do so. It will help me to understand your condition better.

Kind Regards!