Suggest treatment for high LDL levels

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2013
Sep 2013

Question
Hi! I just returned from my doctor's office. She wants me to go on Lipitor because my total cholesterol is 289. My HDL is 100, my triglycerides are 80, my LDL is 173, and my non-HDL is 189. Because my ratio is at 2.9, and I have NO other risk factors (I'm a 46 year-old female, a non-smoker, have low blood pressure, and exercise regularly), I'd prefer to try modifying my diet for 3-6 months. While overall I'm a healthy eater, I do eat a lot of eggs and avocados, and in reading, I've noted that both are high in cholesterol. Additionally, I haven't really worked to eliminate other high cholesterol, high fat foods from my diet, so I'd like to give this a try first. Your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypercholesterolaemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
In brief about your cholesterol level :Normal value (total 120-220 mg/dl ) 289 in your case.
HDL (30-70 ) in medical terms this is called as good cholesterol , 100 , high bot good for health.
LDL ( 60-170 ) 173 , bad cholesterol, in your case high ( upper limit) risky .
Non HDL (1-180 ) 189 HIGH.
Ratio(0-5.1 ) normal in your case.
46 years old , not other risks factor , regular exercises .Low blood pressure may be due to exercise ( 110/ 70 mm of Hg ).If very low than a cause of concern.
Advise lipitor i.e. atorvastatin i.e. lipid lowering agent.
My thoughts are;
You should be worried but not too much. Your cholesterol is not that high to be very worried . You may easily get back to normal range with these measures;
1 High fiber diet, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits ( not canned ) .
2 Cut down the processed food, white bread, doughnuts, white sugar , eggs , avocados , pizza, burger , hot dogs should be completely avoided.
3 However you mentioned that , do regular exercise . A 40 minute physical activities everyday like morning or evening walk or hard exercise ( you are already doing , so very good).
4 Avoid over eating , drinks with caffeine .
5 Tension and anxiety are other factors responsible for high cholesterol level.
I retest my patients after 3-6 months and advise medicine , if still find high level of cholesterol .
Hope I have answered your questions. Further any question I will reply in follow up.
Good luck.