Suggest treatment for high BP

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Blood pressure 168 over ,107 no other symptom other than anxious I do smoke and don't normally have high blood pressure until my husband passed a year ago now it goes up periodiclly not thid bad it's been up all night un sure whether to go to er
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No symptoms - no ER

Detailed Answer:

temporary elevations of the blood pressure may only do harm to patients with aneurysms or severe heart disease. Otherwise the blood pressure does harm in the long term. If you were anxious or stressed in any way, then the measurement is not very credible because the correct way to measure the blood pressure is to be calm, pain-free etc for at least 10 minutes.

If you develop symptoms like severe headache or vision problems then you should go to the ER at once! Otherwise you'll only have to visit your doctor for assessment. Laboratory tests might prove useful to assess your situation, like the complete blood count, urea, creatinine, sodium, potassium, urinalysis etc.

Cutting down on salt consumption (and the hidden salt also in cheese, salami etc) is essential for blood pressure control.

Contact me again for more information, if you'd like!

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis