Suggest treatment for high BP

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Blood pressure 168 over ,107 no other symptom other than anxious I do smoke and don't normally have high blood pressure until my husband passed a year ago now it goes up periodiclly not thid bad it's been up all night un sure whether to go to er
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No symptoms - no ER

Detailed Answer:

temporary elevations of the blood pressure may only do harm to patients with aneurysms or severe heart disease. Otherwise the blood pressure does harm in the long term. If you were anxious or stressed in any way, then the measurement is not very credible because the correct way to measure the blood pressure is to be calm, pain-free etc for at least 10 minutes.

If you develop symptoms like severe headache or vision problems then you should go to the ER at once! Otherwise you'll only have to visit your doctor for assessment. Laboratory tests might prove useful to assess your situation, like the complete blood count, urea, creatinine, sodium, potassium, urinalysis etc.

Cutting down on salt consumption (and the hidden salt also in cheese, salami etc) is essential for blood pressure control.

Contact me again for more information, if you'd like!

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3678 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Severe headache

doctor1 MD

my son is tetrapelagic, he went in hospital for a routine diagnostic test on his bladder whilst the consultant was capheterizing him he went into...

doctor1 MD

Why do I get severe headache (always) and ear pain (at times) when i am exposed to direct sunlight even for just couple of minutes? I used to play...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. I suffer from Mysthenia Gravis and am taking Steriods amd Imuran. Lately I have be suffering from severe headaches epecially on the left and...

doctor1 MD

hi, m pregnant by 5 months and suffering from regular headaches, that start from neck and moves towards the temple from back. pls suggest if...

doctor1 MD

Hi sir, I'm 30 years old I have been suffering with severe headache from past 10years. 5 years ago I consulted a neurologist and got diagnosed with...

doctor1 MD

hi, my wife is 48 years old and is a housewife. no children at home. for past 1 week she is facing major giddiness, severe headache , panic attack...

doctor1 MD

I have ingested fish with cigutera! What is the best way to handle the symptoms? Headache, diarrhea , sensitivity to water.... Also, should I try...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

134 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction