question-icon

Suggest treatment for high BP

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015
Question: My wife (44) called me and her blood pressure is 170/100. She tested it a few times. She typically runs at 130/80. Is she in danger? Any thoughts on what she can do to lower it? Should she go to the urgent care?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I recommend to consult your wife to the ER doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I recommend to consult immediately your wife to the nearest emergency department, as a general medical check up is necessary, and a prompt medical treatment should be applied.

Meanwhile, if ER doctor is not accessible soon, she can try any fast acting drugs, like captopril, nifedipine, etc.

A comprehensive physical examination, coupled with some lab tests (complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests, thyroid hormone levels, fasting glucose, blood lipid profile, a resting ECG, chest X ray study, etc) are necessary to identify potential secondary causes of hypertension, and to address the appropriate management strategy. A period of close blood pressure monitoring would be necessary for decision making, too.

Hope to have been helpful.

Feel free to ask me whenever you need. Greetings! Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist