Suggest treatment for high BP

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 23 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hello sir my age is 24 years old sir 45 days ago i go with one of my family members to check there BP and i have checked out mine also with doctor and reading came was 145/95 next day 169/90 pulse rate 117 at that time then i consult a doctor nothing happens in 3 days only increase in bp 170/100 now i changed my Doctor at that time bp was 130/90 and that doctor have given me metpure xl for 10 days when 10 days gone i again go for cheap up and bp was 139/90 then he have given me cilamet xl for 1 month and after those 1 month completed and again go for cheap up and bp was 130/80 now he has given me metpure AM 5 for 1 month i have to ask what problem do i have and also my when will these medicines will stop because i am too young doctor said we will stop this month.I also have BP machine digital one i daily check it 5 times and normal reading comes under 130/80 and also pulse is also normal but in after when i resting it is 60-65 so please tell me do i have a big disease or it can be cure permanently without taking medicines after this month.

thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypertension of early onset

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for asking health caremagic forum.
Considering your young age a possibility of secondary hypertension should be ruled out. A diagnostic work out is necessary for this.Blood pressure should be measured in both hands to rule out coarctation of aorta.Lipid profile and blood sugar levels should be tested. Renal ultrasound should be taken to rule out renovascular hypertension.Other conditions like pheochromocytoma and hyperparathyroidism also should be ruled out by analysing hormone levels. Echocardigraphy should be taken for rule out any other cardiac defects also . If it is a secondary hypertension by treating the main cause you BP will be controlled. If there is no secondary conditions causing you hypertension then it is most likely essential hypertension of early onset and you can continue the treatment for that. In such case if you don't take treatment you can get hypertrophy of heart, kidney damage and damage to eyes. Hope this may help you.
Let me know about your follow up query If any.I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 5 hours later
i have taken all test sir even ECG was 110 pulse/min and all test sugar normal,little bit increase in triglycerides 164 and LDL 32.4% HDL is 47% and also some increase in SGOT and SGPT levels SGOT is 39 and SGPT is 61 when checked 50 days ago and other things are all good my new doctor is MD and associate professor and excellent but still i have to ask here because i don't know what problem i have and also he not told me too now yesterday my BP now all day is after taking metpure AM 5 is 120-130/80 range but when i go somewhere out or in a hurry it tends to 140/80 but no more then this from past 30 days as i am daily checking normal please is coming i am recovering but i need to take medicine off permanently that is what i want.

thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
To control blood pressure without medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for your follow up query.
If you done all the tests mentioned before then it is most likely essential hypertension of early onset. You can try controlling BP by life style modification. If you are obese try loosing weight. BMI should be maintained between 18.5 and 24.9. If you loose a 10 Kg you will get around 5-20 points less in systolic BP if you are obese.
Decrease your dietary salt intake. It should be below 1 teaspoon or 2.4gram. Better if it is around 1.6gram. Take a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and low fat diary products.
Have an aerobic physical activity like brisk walk daily. Avoid alcohol or beer intake which increases BP. Your liver enzymes is only mildly increased.lf you are taking alcohol it is most likely due to that. Have a good anger management by breathing exercise as getting angry so often can increase BP.Avoid smoking if you are doing it. Your triglycerides can be decreased by decreasing sugar and oil intake. Mainly transfat containing products like chips and bakery items should be avoided.
Even after doing these life style modification your BP is high then you have to take medication. In such case if you don't take medication there is high chance of kidney damage and cardiovascular disease. I recommend a ACE inhibitor group drug for my patients in such condition which protects from such problems.
Hope this may help you.
Let me know if you have any follow up. I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 17 minutes later
thanks you sir for your reply i take no alcohols at all no smoking nothing and i am walking from last 50 days between i not walk when its raining in that case please help me these things happen due to myself because before 50 days i not sleep well for almost more then a month and also no walking and physical thing at all but now i am good 90% better then before even at that time also i have nothing is happening when my BP was 170/100.

thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Controlling hypertension

Detailed Answer:
Hi
thank you for your follow up query.
For majority of young patients with hypertension there is a secondary cause which can be renal cause or cardiac cause. If you have done an Echo and renal ultrasound that is ruled out.
Sleep deprivation can be a reason for sudden rise in BP also. Get good sleep. Avoid drinking tea or coffee after 7 in evening. If you are uncontrollably stressed due to any reason get a counselling which will help you. Do relaxing breathing exercises like yoga.
After taking all these measures also if your BP is high then don't avoid medicines as it can do more harm than good.
Hope this may help you. Let me know if you have any follow up or further queries.
I am happy to help you. Thanks