Suggest treatment for high BP

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: i am 65 years old. 5'5' 130lbs .. i work out hard 5 days a week ..1 hr a day and have for 8 years. i've always been very active. i work long hours as a professor and have my own research programs . i just went to get antibiotics for a UTI a week ago and it has not cleared up yet. they told me last week that my blood pressure is
154 over 104... i went back today and was told i need a culture but the concern is that my blood pressure is the same as last week. i will go see my dr. but it is the weekend and should i be concerned that BP is so high?
i haven't had a check up in a couple of years because i have been so healthy
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there is a reason to get it followed up!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this increased blood pressure. If it should stay high on more than one occasion, it raises the suspicion of a possible high blood pressure. This needs to be monitored, correctly diagnosed and investigated . This would help arrive at a conclusion and a treatment decision.

Is it too high for you to be concerned not seeing a doctor immediately? The answer is NO. There is ample time to figure out things at the beginning of next week. Stay calm and do not panic over this as there is no immediate threat to your life.

I join your doctors in making the decision for a urine culture. This will confirm the infection, identify the exact germ, what antibiotic is indicated so that the management can be updated to enable complete infection eradication.

In all, you need to follow through to get this issue of blood pressure figured out and addressed fully. No need to get too worried as next week is still good enough and would not have changed much in the treatment decision or outcome.

I hope this helps. I wish you well and thank you so much for trusting us with your health questions. Feel free to request for more information and clarifications if need be.