Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

164 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for high BP

Answered by
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3864 Questions

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My Doctor took me off propranolol, now my blood pressure is very high. 159/109 pulse 100
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Report this to your doctor!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Please, get in contact with your doctor to let him know the changes that you have experienced in your blood pressure numbers and pulse rate since getting off this medication. Do you know the reasons why he discontinued this medication?

I am sure this would prompt him to review the treatment as a whole, the decision to stop propranolol and what next to make sure he addresses your health condition.
I understand no one ones to live with such high numbers. For now, they are not too life threatening and I suggest you stay calm. Talk to your doctor and together you both would figure out a solution for this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Thank you so much for trusting us with your health questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to

Recent questions on Propranolol

doctor1 MD

I use Inderal la 80mg for an indefinite period of thirty years. It is now off the market. My doctor pur blokka 40mg prescribed. how many pills should I drink every day. the two weeks that I am on a drug, I m off balance, sometimes feel like I do to myself is not whistling in my ears, dizzy. I feel like I have a lack of oxygen, my heart s rhythm is not normal it time then I feel tired. Inderal la 80mg is prescribed for narrowing of arteries in my brain and heart, angina, migraine, heart rates and blood pressure ranging

doctor1 MD

Recent visit 12-21 for headaches that I have for weeks they come and go for months at a time .they start in front and go around my head ,some nausea and ear pain or hot sensation around ears and floaters that make it hard to read or write .and...

doctor1 MD

the other evening I got an upset stomach, my nose became stuff up and runny, I got very sleepy, and weak. this has happened before and usually will last an hour; always in the evening between 5 and 8. If tried logging what I eat but there's...

doctor1 MD

I have been prescribed Propranolol by my psychiatrist for high anxiety (twice a day). I have been taking this medication for about 5 months. It has worked very well. I was asked by my new pharmacy why I am taking 2 beta blockers. I have been...

doctor1 MD

good morning doctor. Iam a 30 years female diagnosed with kissing ulcers,gerd and hiatal hernia.i have been advised to take happi xt (1 daily)and velgut ( 2 times a day). Recently i was also diagnosed with migraine and iam on Inderal 40 mg (1 tablet) and flunarin (1 tablet).please give your opinion

doctor1 MD

My husband has portal vein thrombosis with portal hypertension. Due to an increase in his propranolol to 80mg he has not had a bleeding episode in over 18 mo. He suffers from ascites and this past November he developed blood clots in each leg. His gastro specialist got him in with a hematologist who started him on lovinox injections once per day of 100 mg. His blood labs reflect that his liver is working well, although a biopsy reflects some stenosis. Should he be seen by a vascular expert?

doctor1 MD

My blood pressure was 176/106 this morning currently taking 40 mg of propranolol twice a day. Is this medication specifically prescribed for high blood pressure? I also suffer from Graves disease and take 125 mcgr of Levoxyl per day since my thyroid was taken with I-131 iodine back in 2003