Suggest treatment for high BP

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hi I have a question about high blood pressure, mine has recently come right up to 153 after being normal range all my life. I'm wondering what I can do to help bring it down without medication.

I've had low sodium and have consequently been eating a lot of salt. Could that have sent blood pressure up? I am now reducing salt and sodium rich foods and eating more potassium rich foods. Also regarding fats, I dont know if I have too much, it is mostly from olive oil, coconut oil, dairy, nuts and avocado. I eat a little fish no other meat sources. Should I cut down dairy? What about coconut oil? I have heard coconut oil and coconut water is good for high blood pressure. Is that true? I've also read beetroot juice helps, so I am drinking that. What else can I do?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modifications.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Your blood pressure is over the normal range but it is not too high and you can bring it down with proper diet and lifestyle modifications.

Keeping a healthy lifestyle may be all you need to control your blood pressure.
Healthy lifestyle include:
-Achieve a healthy weight .So if you are overweight you need to loose those extra pounds because blood pressure is strongly related with weight.
-Avoid fatty ,processed foods,fast foods, red meat, sweetened beverages, desserts.
-Eat only healthy foods which includes foods lower in sodium and high in potassium : vegetables,fruits, whole grains , poultry, nuts, legumes, and low-fat dairy. This is called DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension ).
So you should not cut down dairy but consume fat -free and low-fat dairy products (such as skimmed milk, low-fat yoghurt, and low-fat cottage cheese).

-Limit your salt intake up to 2,3 gram a day.The lower your salt intake is, the lower your blood pressure.
-Limit alcohol intake ,stop smoking (if you smoke) and limit your caffeine intake.
-Drink plenty of water.
-It is very important to exercise regularly at least 40 minutes most days of the week.

Nuts (Almonds, hazelnuts,peanuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, etc) are rich sources of energy, magnesium, protein, and fiber.So they should be in your diet.

Some researches have concluded that beetroot juice help to reduce blood pressure in hypertensive individuals so you can continue to use it.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any further question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 8 hours later
Thanks dr XXXXXXX Yes I have bought low fat milk, my first sacrifice (I love it creamy).

I dont eat meat or chicken but can I have fish? And what about coconut oil and olive oil?

I do eat heaps of fruit and vegetables,just have to stop adding so much salt.

What about spices, chilli, mustard, pepper, curry etc. And tumeric

I am not overweight, some say I am underweight, and I exercise quite a lot, about three hours, or four. Walking and weight bearing exercise mostly. I am aware I dont do much cardio that really makes me puff, should I be?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Dear!

Hope you are doing well.

To answer your questions:
-Yes you can eat fish.It is a good source of proteins ,is rich in omega 3 and potassium.Most fish, if not fried or made with added fat, is low in saturated fat and calories and can be eaten often.
-Avoid adding salt to foods.

About coconut oil I would suggest to use it sparingly.
New studies about coconut oil have pointed out that coconut oil is one of the rare plant sources of saturated fat and saturated fat tends to increase LDL (“bad” cholesterol), the leading risk factor for heart disease.
In these studies people who used coconut oil had higher levels of LDL-cholesterol than people who don't use it.

I would suggest to use olive oil,it is more healthy.

Spices,chilli,mustard,pepper ,curry,tumeric are high in antioxidants which remove free radicals from your body (free radicals can damage cells leading to disease like diabetes,heart disease ,high blood pressure ,cancer etc).
So it is a good idea to use these herbs , spices, and other seasonings.

I am glad to know that you are not overweight and that you exercise a lot.
It is not important the type of physical activity .Important is to exercise every day of the week (or at least most days of the week) even if it includes just walking.
You can do any type of exercises you want.

I am sure that you will achieve to control your blood pressure.
Let me know if you have additional questions.

Hope it was of help.
Wish you good health.

Dr.Rovena Murati