Suggest treatment for high BP, tingling sensation in feet, hands and face

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: For several years I have had high blood pressure. Recently I get tingling in my feet & legs and to a lesser degree in my hands and face (chin area). They are also very cold. I take Candesarten, Proxeteine & half tablet of Nortryptolyne. I also have a herniated disc in my lower back & a spur pressing on a nerve in my upper spine. Today my BP has been very high & the tingling sensation is much more pronounced. The question I am asking is .... do you think that the high BP & the tingling is related?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, high blood pressure is not the reason of tingling.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Tingling is a very characteristic symptom of nerve problem. High blood pressure can not be the reason of tingling. Low blood pressure can do that due to nerves and tissues ischemia.
So the most probable reason of such tingling are the changes in the spine you have mentioned. Due to some compression, nerves which start in the spine and travel to upper and lower limbs give tingling.
As your limbs are very cold, I suggest you to also check for possible atherosclerosis. This condition can cause narrow arteries and lead to not enough blood distribution. Common sign of such issue are calf pains while walking and cold legs. Tingling can appear as well.
Please consult vascular surgeon and consider arteries Dopplers ultrasound.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.