Suggest treatment for high BP in an elderly person

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Just got off the phone with my 93 year old Mom. She said her BP is 207/95
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is hypertensive crisis and she should go to ER.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Your mother's blood pressure is unsafely high. Hypertensive crisis is when the upper number (systolic) is over 180 or the bottom number (diastolic) is over 110. At this level it can damage blood vessels and lead to a stroke or damage other organs.

What she should do now is retake it again. If it continues to be over the numbers listed above, she should go to the ER where it can be brought down safely and she can be monitored.

Really, given her age, I would error on the side of safety and have her go in to the ER anyway.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
OK Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome, and one more thing: If she drives, it would be best for her not to drive herself to the ER. She should either have someone else drive her or go by ambulance, as we don't want her blood pressure to go up further from any kind of stress or activity.