Suggest treatment for high BP despite taking Losartan

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife 52 yrs has dm type2+ essential ht since few yrs. Her ht when controlled with losartan 50 bd plus bisaprolol 5 mg once daily shows a systolic brachial bp of 150 to 160 mm vs 75 to 85 .and at times of stress likejourney, sleep distubances bp goes up to 180/95 etc. When she was under control with amlodipine 5 mg+ atanalol 50 mg consequent on unstable angina she developed severe pedal edema and reverted back to losartan plus bisaprolol.
Present query - Should we be concerned abt her bit higher systolic bp given above? or she need to be changed over to other drug/ combinations?

While on losartan+indapamide for ht , about3 months back after unusual food ie parottasand chicken curry in the evening she developed retrosternal unstable angina and hospitalised for observation- mild ecg variations stabilised, trop test negative, echo results not alarming with normal vessels ,valves and blood flowrate. Follow up tmt 3 weeks later reported with fatigue after 4 minutes and 20 sec acivity, though excercise induced ischemia was not noticed

Rosuvastatin5 mg + aspirin 75 mg nowgiven at night as cardioascular/ clot preventive after the chest pain episode
Answered by Dr. Sagar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can add thiazide with losartan.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM
I appreciate your concerns.
I have gone through the problems.
Her BP is still high despite of the medications.
It is really a matter of concern.
This high level of blood pressure can give rise to cerebrovascular accident..
I shall advice you to take metoprolol in place of bisoprolol.
and you can take losartan +thiazide combination.
She can go through an angiography to see any blockage is there or not.
Also consult your physician.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sagar 17 hours later
consulted a dabetologist cum physician, opined that she be tried with metoprolol+clinidipine as her bp was under better control while on amlodipine+atanalol, also said that this is better option in view of the risk of atanalol and peripheral edema in amlodipine, clinidipine
Answered by Dr. Sagar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can start this combination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes clindepine is a better alternative.
It does not cause pedal oedema.
She can start this drug.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sagar