Suggest treatment for high BP despite taking Aginal AT

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My lower BP is high and i am taking AGINAL-AT every 24 hours to control but still its not helping me to control it, my current reading are 111/140 this morning, could you please explain the following:

1)Food precautions that i should take care as i am vegetarian not taking oily stuff as well
2)Reason for having lower BP high this as i feel headache and pain in legs as well is it due to age i am 45yrs old.
3)Medicines that can help to reduce, is current medicine i need to continue or change it.
4)Side effect of the medicines
5)Advice food/exercise that can control.

Please answer line by line for the above with details.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
High BP

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.

You need to undergo a systematic evaluation for the possibility of what we doctors called Secondary Hypertension ie as opposed to the generally common condition of Essential / Primary Hypertension which many people get as one gets older.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Thyroglobulin antibodies 12 hour Fasting Lipid profile

25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

Further tests can be considered based on the results of these preliminary tests.

Correct diagnosis and treatment requires the opportunity to examine the patient so you must see an endocrinologist in-person.

Eat fruits and vegetables in good measure.

Avoid salty and fried food items.

This is why you need to be thoroughly assessed as detailed above

An online forum like this is not meant for specific prescription advice and treatment. You must see your doctor in-person for this.

4)Side effect of the medicines

Each medicine has some side effect. The decision to choose wisely is key

Food advice I have mentioned above.

if you ae overweight or obese, you need to lose weight.

Exercise like walking and running is helpful but before you start see a Cardiologist to make sure your heart is ok