Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling numbness in feet

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi, My hubby i 45 years old, for past two month he is constantly on high BP ranging from 130 /90 to 145/100 and at times going to 152/103. We got all his test done which showed normal reports. He is taking Telma H for the BP. He also had acidity problem which is now under control. However he is experiencing numbness and tickling on his feet for past 15 days. What would you suggest
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Uncontrolled hypertension

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the details you have given me it looks like your husband is having uncontrolled hypertension and tab telma h is not enough for it. I suggest to add a calcium channel blocker like amlodipine 5 mg once in the morning along with telma h.

The tingling of the leg is a unrelated issue. In order to help you I need a few more details

1. was his blood sugars tested anytime ?
2. Is he a vegetarian ?
3. is he able to feel hot and cold while taking bath over the feet ?
4. what is his weight and height ?

Please get back to me I am awaiting Your reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 hours later

1. was his blood sugars tested anytime ? yes,15 days back, the test are normal
2. Is he a vegetarian ?- non-vegetarian
3. is he able to feel hot and cold while taking bath over the feet ?- yes he feels it
4. what is his weight and height ? - Height 5.7 weight 86 kgs
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back to me, I am sorry for the short delay in my reply to you.

Here are my suggestions.

The tingling and numbness is not related to hypertension itself. It could be related to the tablet telma h, electrolyte disturbance is often seen in patients on hydrocholothiazide which causes tingling and numbness. This is how you should go about it

1. Get electrolytes done, sodium, potassium and calcium
2. I would also want him to get tested for vit b12 levels, low vitamin b 12 can cause such issues
3. If the above two are normal then please get a nerve conduction test done
4. Tab Pregabalin 75 reduces the tingling and numbness. I usually prescribe 1 tablet at night

I hope I was of help, I am once again sorry for the delay in my reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 37 minutes later
hIS ELCTROLYTES ARE normal it was done recently. I think we will go for a nerve conduction test, could u also tell me Tab Pregbalin to be taken for how many days

Thank u
Brief Answer:
Pregabalin after nerve conduction test

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I would want you to wait till the nerve conduction study for starting this drug.
Tab Pregabalin 75 is taken at night time after dinner, for the effect to be seen it takes about 7 days