• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high BP and stress

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I keep reading that heavy weights can hurt your heart especially the aorta due to high blood pressure. I like weight lifting. Do you thing moderately heavy weights like 220lb of squat and deadlift,
185 lb of bench press and 135 lb of shoulders press can give heart problem to a healthy individual that does weight lifting regularly but not too often like twice a week. I think the blood pressure of a fit male should not rise very much with such weight, and the articles refer to extremely heavy weights e,g 700lb. Is this correct or am I wrong? I would like your contribution on my thoughts!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on pre-existing heart function

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Lifting heavy weights is like any other form of physical stress which can put a load on the heart.

If you do already have shortness of breath due to the Asthma, it is better to restrict the weight lifting to comfortable boundaries.

Some people already have weak hearts and they can give up suddenly especially in cases of Cardiomyopathy.

Do get your blood pressure and ECG done to rule out any dormant or pre-existing heart condition before moving forward.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon