Suggest treatment for high BP and severe back pain

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I have just been prescribed metropol 25 mg twice a day for high bp and pulse over 90,also on altace 10 mg twice a day 25 mg hydraclorathazide and synthyroid 75 alternating synthyroid 88 every other day. I am waiting for a stress test and echocardiogram.meantime having a lot of trouble with back pain and ache around heart very tired and feel like crying all time.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX!

Welcome back on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that you chest pain needs to e further investigated in order to arrive to the right responsible cause among several potential reasons.

First of all it is necessary to better characterize your chest pain (stabbing, squeezing, burning, etc.); whether it can be exactly localized, modulated by posture and respiration, a prolonged pain, persistent for hours or just few seconds episodes.

The cardiac tests programmed for this purpose will investigate possible ischemic heart disease or other implicated factors like pericarditis, etc.

if your pain is well localized, superficial in nature, prolonged and modulated by body movements, it is unlikely to be cardiac related.

Regarding your unpleasant feeling of tiredness, it is necessary to exclude possible underlying factors by checking several medical tests:

- complete blood count (to exclude possible anemia),
- blood electrolytes level (possible electrolytes imbalance),
- fasting blood glucose (abnormally high or low levels),
- thyroid hormone levels (low thyroid function)

It is necessary to discuss with your attending doctor on the opportunity to review your actual thyroid function and possibly adjust the daily Synthroid dose (in case hypothyroidism persists despite hormone replacement therapy).

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri