Suggest treatment for high BP and headaches

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My blood pressure is 181/112. I am getting a headache and am shaky and unstable when walking. I am also on coumadin, but don't know what my INR is. The hospital doesn't think it's an emergency, have been in waiting room for 45
minutes.... Your advice is appreciated.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neurological examination/Brain imaging.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I would like to know the following details in order to answer your query-
1)For how long are you having the symptoms of headache and instability?
2)Is headache mild,moderate,severe or very severe?
3)How did the headache and other symptoms started-sudden or gradual?

With these symptoms,raised blood pressure and the clinical background that you are on coumadin therapy,you should get yourself urgently examined by a neurologist.Possibly,you will need an urgent brain imaging like CT scan of Brain.
The main concern is to rule out the possibility of bleeding in brain considering the fact that coumadin is a drug that may promote bleeding and your INR is not monitored.

So,please visit a neurological emergency urgently.

If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to ask.Please follow up with details I asked for.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 28 minutes later
The headache is moderate, has been for at least 10 hours. They were quick to dismiss me, and I fell at th ae discharge desk. The shaky hands and stumbling when I walk has been going on for almost 19 hours. The shakiness and instability started 19 hours ago, and was sudden. My headache started at 2am yesterday, and was gradual in its nature. My primary care physician decided he wouldn't monitor the INR levels any more. The Dr was quick to dismiss my symptoms, and I fell while at their discharge desk hitting my back and right elbow. It's not broken, but it really hurts. it aggravated a preexisting condition...
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neurological examination should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I still believe that you should undergo a neurological examination,to be on the safer side.As I said,only concern is to rule out any vascular event in brain.A CT Head may be considered in case of abnormal neurological examination.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some follow up questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist