Suggest treatment for high BP and eczema

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son, 43, has just been diagnosed with eczema after suffering for several months at a time, every so often. The doctor originally said it was bed bugs, but after searching carefully, with no results he went to a dermatologist. My son as been on a diet to lose weight for about 6 months under the guidance of a nutritionist at his gym. He is about 5'7" and weights 350 pounds. With the use of some nutrition drinks and bars and a prescribed diet he has lost and regained weight during this 6 or 7 month period. Can eczema cause weight gain. My son is extremely dedicated to losing the weight to drop his high blood pressure recently diagnosed. Thank you for any information I may forward to him.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
eczema does not cause weight gain

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Eczema is not normally associated with weight gain.

It is a condition where the skin is inflamed/irritated. There are different types of eczema but none are known to cause weight gain.

If the eczema is bad and the person is giving oral steroids then the steroids can cause weight gain but not the eczema itself.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions