Suggest treatment for high BP and dizziness

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I am a 66 yr old woman. I have hypersensitivity Pneumonitis and very high blood pressure average reading for me is 176/96. My right leg swells all the time and I feel light headed and dizzy and my eye sight is bad sometimes. I take Valsartan 40 mg once a day and Carvedilol 12.5 mg twice a day. I am overweight and take alot of medications for my lung disease. I take Azathioprine 50 MG three times a day and Sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. I am very concerned about my blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider kidneys and thyroid gland dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Lightheartedness and dizziness together with eye sight issues that occurs in episodes may be related to blood pressure changes.

Causes of hypertension include kidneys diseases, thyroid gland diseases, besides cardiovascular diseases, and, since there is swelling of a leg, renal dysfunction is a strong possible explanation.

So, since your concerns are related mainly to hypertension, and current blood pressure medications don't work, it is necessary to get evaluated further about kidneys and thyroid gland function with appropriate tests.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj