Suggest treatment for high BP and diabetes

Posted on Tue, 14 Apr 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hello Sir,

My father is suffering through High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, and now Dr Suggested to do an coronary Angiography but then found his heart veins are very thin and hence couldn't do the angiography. Now his hemoglobin level is 8.2 and is supposed to be 13 Dr. suggested the medicine but the blood was not developing hence Dr. suggested to get EPOFER 4000 injection to increase the blood which make my father’s body heavy for two days. there might be some blockages but as Angiography couldn't happen we cant check that. Dr. said only medicine can help. Please suggest what should be the best medication also please suggest if I can get my father in XXXXXXX where should I show him to get the proper treatment to make him completely cure. Please suggest what should be the best option would be great help to me.I have attached the reports kindly check.

Thanks and Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more nfo

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Here are my interpretations and suggestions

1.The reason for not undergoing angiogram could also be because of increased creatinine. Which could be due to diabetes.
2. Epo 4000 can be given for increasing the hemoglobin but it should not be given without knowing the transferrin saturation and iron stores. It will work efficiently only if the body iron stores are normal. Please get transferrin saturation and iron stores done before giving Epo. I also recommend work up for anemia as there is no apparent reason for low hemoglobin.
3. The best option would be to continue the current medication, he is on the correct medications. I also recommend you to get urine routine done, there might be mild proteinuria ( loss of protein in urine) which needs to be controlled.
4. The most important thing is to avoid high protein diet like red meat and follow a low salt diet.
5. restrict fruits to just once or twice a week, avoid tender coconut water.
6. If you have an ECHO scan, please attach it so that I can get back to you on fluid restriction

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist