Suggest treatment for high BP and cholesterol levels

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is a 340 Chol and 157 Trig something one should go to ER for? LDL is 246.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
hello,
This is a chronic problem, this must be present since long time. No need to rush to er.
However, things are alarming. Do you have any history of chest pain on exertion, family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity etc. If yes then you ll need further test for heart disease like treadmill test or stress thallium, echo in addition to treatment for lipid.
In treatment, non pharmacological methods like a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly. If bp is persistently more than 140/90 mmhg, then you should be on medicines for it. Regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according your capacity atleast 30 min a day and 5 days a week. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, avoid meat. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. Get your lipid sugars tested once if not done..
You should be started on drugs like atorvastatin 20 mg or rosuvastatin 10 mg bedtime, prescription of which you ll get from local doctor. Get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad