Suggest treatment for high BP and arthritis

Posted on Mon, 4 May 2015 in General Health
Question: I suffer from pseudo gout for which, I believe there is no cure. In the past I have been prescribed Lengout & Panafcortelone. At present I am taking both of these meds as I am having a particually bad attack. At first I took Lengout which wasn't really helping so without seeing a Dr. I decided to take 5mg of Panafcortelone twice a day. The pain is much better . The effected parts this time are my left knee and left big toe. Mobility has improved slightly. This is only my 2nd day of using Panafcortelone. Do I need to take both Panafcortelone & Lengout. I also suffer from osteo arthritis as well. I take 10mg of lercanidipine hydrochloride for high blood pressure. I feel that my diet is good avoiding most things they say may be triggers for pseudo gout. I had quite a bad fall [no broken bones] just before this latest episode & am under some stress as well. Thank you Dr.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are many treatments.

Detailed Answer:
Lengout is colchicine. While it is mainly for gout

Panafcortelone .. wow.. sure is an odd name for prednisolone!
It is a powerful anti-inflammatory. It inhibits the inflammation caused by the pseudogout crystals and as such is quite a decent treatment for the acute pain. It's side effects are dependent on the duration of treatment, so it is used in bursts abut not given for a long period of time.
Lengout (colchicine) is a pretty standard treatment for it too.

Sometimes the calcium metabolism can be off due to a treatable condition like not getting enough magnesium.

There is a webpage being created Just For You.
www.nerdpocalypse.net/pseudogout.html
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist