Suggest treatment for high ALT levels

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my husbands ALT (SGPT) is 49.00 and should be 0-45. what is that and what does is mean? also his cholesterol/HDL Colesterol Ratio is 6.84 and should be 0.0-150. what does that mean? His TRIGLYCERIDES are 670-00 MG?DL and should be 50-130. Last his his LDL Colesterol is SUFA MG?DL and should be 50-130. Please help me understand what all this means. Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Slight rise in ALT levels signifies an acute insult to liver. That can be due to fatty liver, pain killer abuse, viral hepatitis, alcohol intake.
He has very high triglycerides level and LDL level which are bad cholesterol. This signifies that he is at risk of heart attack and stroke.
I need a few details to help you better:
1. Does he consume alcohol? If yes how much?
2. Any history of diabetes or Hypertension?
3. Any medicines he takes for any disease?
4. Is he taking any medicine for cholesterol?
5. Is he taking any pain killers?
6. Any problems he has? Why did you get him tested?
7. Is he overweight?
8. Does he smoke?
Revert with these details preferably in point wise manner for a better help.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 13 minutes later
He does not drink and never has. No history of diabetes or hypertension that we know of. He takes no medications for anything. I had him tested to get a life insurance policy. He is not overweight. He does not smoke, however he used to dip for 20 years. He quit dipping 2 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
With such high levels he is at risk of many diseases.
I would advise you to get his following investigations:
1. Ultrasound abdomen to rule out fatty liver.
2. Viral markers.

I would advise you to give him low cholesterol , low fat diet. He should exercise daily.
He should be started on medicines for such high triglycerides levels. A combination of Atorvastatin and Fenofibrate would help him.
He should get this work up to rule out Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH).
Review with his reports.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 54 minutes later
could he have cancer or could he die from this. how necessary is it for him to be treated. We have no medical insurance and can't afford testing
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
No this is not cancer. You don't worry for that.
He is at risk of heart disease and stroke because of dyslipidemia. He should be started on treatment.
If you can't afford to get tested at least you can ask your doctor to start him on the treatment advised.
He would be fine once his cholesterol levels come back to normal.
Stay Healthy.