Suggest treatment for high ALT and insulin levels

Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: nurse said all labs normal except alt 76 insulin 46 I take 500 metforemin for pcos, 20mg lexapro for anxiety and vitamins. should I worry?
Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 54 minutes later
Relax dear there will be some insulin resistance in PCOS which will make your insulin ti shoot up there is nothing to worry daily do exercise and concentrate on weight reduction
Follow up: Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 44 days later
how about ALT?
Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi there

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear i can understand your concern
There is a history of PCOS which might be associated with some insulin resistance factor.
This kind of insulin resistance will increase the fatty acid deposition in the liver and causes slight but reversible increase of liver enzymes(ALT,AST)
with the use of metformin and weight reduction the elevated liver enzymes might return to normal in no time.
i suggest you to formulate a diet plan and exercise plan and concentrate on weight reduction.
i wish you good health and happy life
DR XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj