• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hidradenitis suppurativa

Posted on Mon, 1 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doctor my girlfriend is 20 years old from last 4 years she had hidradenitis suppurativa. She talked many doctors but she didnt get any cure. What is your say on it? Is it cureable? Please tell me i am much worried describe this disease and its cure.Its in her left and right armpit. And she also got it in her breast. The disease is since last 4 years but it get al right then it starts again and last lumps are frim 2 months. She also have got 2 operation to take out the lumps but its happen again. She had hot worse situation around 20 times. And now her position is that she shouts in pain and afater every 3 hours she gets pain killer injection.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adalimumab, FDA approved, is increasing used for HS

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry to hear about the rare disease that was affecting your girlfriend. She seems to be very young. This is also called apocrinitis as it affects the apocrine sweat glands and mainly the axilla.
I am sorry to say that there is no complete cure but treatment is available. The treatment depends on how large the area is affected.
Laser therapy, surgery, Radiation therapy is given to destroy the glands.
All in all staying fit is very important. I heard that swimming is best practice to stay in shape and be fit. Excess subcutaneous fat cause more problem so choose a better exercise program that can keep her fit.
Recently in 2015, Adalimumab(Humira), a monoclonal antibody was approved for treatment of moderate to severe hidradenitis suppurativa. This is the first and only FDA-approved therapy for adults.
You can speak to the Immunologist or Dermatologist in your local area who has an experience with this drug.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam