Suggest treatment for hidradenitis suppurativa

Posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have suffered from what believe to be hidradenitis suppurativa, for over 10 years. Doctors in my area refuse to see it as what it is and continuously prescribe antibiotics that do nothing for these flares. The boils do not cause me as much pain as they do for others, but they take months sometimes a year to heal. I have heard there is no cure for this, but would just like another opinion. thanks
Answered by Dr. Shahid Hassan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
upload image, need diagnosis first

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to HCM,
It is your believe only that the disease is hidradenitis suppurativa. First of all you need to be diagnosed properly. Send your photograph for correct diagnosis.
There is a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may utilize that. Alternatively, you can email it to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as "ATTN: Dr. Shahid Hassan".
Hidradenitis suppurativa starts as pimple like lesion most commonly on underarm and groin, later pimple leads to abscess and heals with scarring.
There are lot of medical treatment which includes antibiotic, steroid injection, methotrexate and biologicals.
If medical treatment fails deroofing and laser surgeries are done which has got promising results.
Hope this is helpful.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Shahid Hassan

Dermatologist