Suggest treatment for hidradenitis suppurativa

Posted on Mon, 1 Dec 2014 in Lump
Question: Dear Sir,
Good marning,my wife is suferring from hydodanatissuperactiva,please suggest is there is surgey is possible.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hygiene, medications and surgery in difficult case

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern for hidradenitis Suppurativa or Suppurative hidradenitis in your wife.

It is really bothersome condition and I can understand her suffering and your concern for her.

As per your specific concern of surgery, as a dermatologist I prefer to go for medical therapies rather than surgery as main mode of treatment. So let me guide you certain important things regarding the problem before the surgical approach itself.

To tell you simply about this condition: it is a relapsing inflammatory disease originating from the sweat glands of skin (which we call as apocrine gland follicles). Due to blockage and abnormal opening of the sweat glands it causes the formation of selling and extension with scarring

In my patients I generally suggest them first and foremost feature of improvement in local hygiene. I also suggest reducing the weight if on higher side. In my patients I recommend proper washing by antiseptic agents for washing.

In case of swelling and infection I prefer full doses of appropriate antibiotics for 2 weeks. If still it is not getting better then I opt for anti-inflammatory drugs with systemic corticosteroids.

In female patients especially I also opt for oral contraceptive for women. I chose an oral contraceptive containing 50 mg ethinyloestradiol.

Now for surgery specifically: I generally go for curettage and electrocoagulation ( to burn out the glands by machine) of sinus tracts. Additionally if required I also go for simple excision. However, severe disease unresponsive to medical treatment a surgical approach by surgeon is required. It is best treated by deep and wide excision of the whole of the disease-bearing skin along with a margin of at least 1.5 cm.

In general most of the patients respond well to medical approach and only in troublesome refractory cases I prefer to go for surgical approach.

I hope these informations will help you. I will be glad to guide you any further.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your responce,she is facing bolls under arms with heavy pain,if you send me your no i'll wats up the effected part,she is also facing piles problem.kindly sugest
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suppurative hidradenitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for further follow up.

I can understand your concern and the recent boils with pain.

For sending the pictures you have a feature on the right of the page to upload the same. Kindly send good resolution pictures which can be magnified better and close analysis. OR Otherwise you can send by Email at:

YYYY@YYYY

with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"

For any assistance you can take help of our customer care in India: +91-80-4190-3696

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist