• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hiatus hernia

Posted on Wed, 1 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I have been diagnosed with Hiatle hernia and told nothing needs to be done. I have been experiencing problems getting food or fluids down and have to throw it back up before it reaches my stomach. Then I have pain in my espoghogus til it settles down. Is this problem related to the hernia and is there surgery for it?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue the treatment....

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will answer your questions today.

The symptoms that you describe: -problems getting food or fluids down and throw it back correlates with a hiatal hernia.

I assume the doctor who you've visited has already described you what a Hiatal hernia is (type of hernia in which the upper part of the stomach protrudes into the chest cavity through the esophageal hiatus).

This way, the natural barrier between our esophagus and stomach that stop fluids from going up (reflux) is damaged. Our esophagus does't tolerate a big amount of acid. When this happens we have the burning/pain sensation in our chest.

There are 4 diferent types of hernia and in 95% of the cases surgery is not the best option because it has high chances of failure and other type of complications. All the symptoms can be managed with medicine and some changes in our behavior.

I understand the concern because Pantoprazole didn't heal you fast enough. For symptoms to go away , we need to help our body.

Here are some advises :

- continue the treatment prescribed by your doctor (sometimes the symptoms need weeks to even months to go away)

- over-weight is a main factor that agravates the symptoms
- alcohol free diet
- healthy diet,fresh fruits and vegetables
- low fat diet,no spicy foods or fries.no pizza or other type of fastfoods
- try to eat in small portions 5 or 6 times at day
- when you go to sleep,have an extra pillow under your chest. this will help with symptoms
- avoid lying down directly after meals

Only in some rare cases when the hernia is large and it risks to create complications like esophageal stricture,or pain that can't be managed with all the advises that i gave you,surgery is an option (but as i said it has it limits)

Just try the advises that i have mentioned above and if your symptoms still don't go away than you might need to consult your gastroenterologist for the grade of hiatal hernia and if s/he thinks that the only option left is surgery then a consultation should be made to a GI-surgeon for the procedure.

Don't hesitate to consult me for any other question.

Kindly
Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon