Suggest treatment for hiatus hernia

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i am having hitus hernia & high level of amylase (224) with reflex asophsities. pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute Pancreatitis and Hiatus hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Hiatus hernia most of the time is treated conservatively by medical management. However in order to help you I need to understand your condition better, please get back to me with the following

1. What were your symptoms and from how long has it been there?
2. When were these tests done?
3. Please furnish the usg abdomen report ( if it was done)
4. How often do you consume alcohol? Is there any history of gall stones?
5. Please mention the medications you are on currently

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
1.I am having severe pain in my left side upper abdomen below last & second last left ribs.sometimes it goes to my back. it is lasts from 6 - 7 years.
2.Two month back.
3. diagnoses Hiatus hernia.
4. twice a week. sometime thrice a week. No history of gallstone.
5. Pantocid dsr occasionally.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back. I am sorry for the short delay in my response, I was on call at my hospital

Here are my suggestions to you.

The fact that you have pain in the left upper side of the abdomen means that your hiatus hernia is causing the symptoms, you will have to be treated for it in the following way
1. Do not consume milk, milk products, spicy food and oily food
2. Higher amylase level means that 2 months ago you had pancreatitis most probably due to the alcohol intake, I advice you to drink as occasionally as possible and in moderation, alcohol also aggravates the symptoms of hiatus hernia. On the days you are consuming alcohol I strongly suggest you to take Pantocid DSR
3. Smaller 4-5 meals are better than consuming 3 large meals
4. While sleeping, the head end should be slightly raised, complete supine position will cause more acid reflux
5. I usually advice my patients pantoprazole with cintapride twice daily before food, it has given good results. It popularly comes as Tab Contodac. It has to be taken continuously for 15 days and then once a day

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I am once again sorry for my short delay in my response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
My GGT is 66.pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

GGT is a liver enzyme test it is usually elevated when there is a viral infection of the liver or when large quantities of alcohol is consumed. Your GGT is normal. You will not require any further treatment or investigation in this regard.