• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hiatal hernia

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a haital hernia ..can I take a hot bath to ease the discomfort
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
yes,hot baths may ease symptoms since it will relax diaphragm muscle and vagal nerve. Also, abdomen massage and sauna may be good home remedy as well. Furthermore,hiatal hernia will also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress and smoking.

You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food.

Also,avoid overeating long sitting and exercise regularly. Certain antiacid medications may be required and as last option, it is possible to perform surgical repair of hernia especially if there are progressive respiratory discomfort and dyspepsia.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any furthe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 15 minutes later
Should I go back to the e.r if I'm feeling very weak from my shoulders down to my arms and very uncomfortable?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
If this becomes intensive or chest pain occur,then you should go to ER since heart issues may mimic hiatal hernia pain and heart attack should be ruled out in this case. Otherwise,you can take antiacid medication,rest and take nonsteroid painkillers.
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon