Suggest treatment for hiatal hernia

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I had an UGI series done, my PCP told me I have a hernia in my esophagas. I am scheduled to see a GI specialist on May 8. How is this condition treated?

Also suffer from excessive hiccups, more than I used ti have.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mostly with drugs. Surgery reserved for extreme cases!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this query.

Tai sis most likely what we call hiatal hernia. This happens when part of the stomach finds itself in the lower end of the esophagus. Acid then gets to burn the lining causing pain. This is why we provide antacid medications to address this problem, which is the main stay of treatment. We only get to use surgery if drugs fail. Am sure your GI doctor would make the right treatment plan for you.

I wish you well. Keep me posted and keep me updated most especially after visiting your GI doctor and sharing the plan with me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T