• question-icon

Suggest treatment for herpes

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I think I might have herpes simplex 2. I have a bumps around my buttocks and underwear lines. They are itchy and they start with fluid filled and then are just bumps. They vary in size and are sore if itched. The are red. Itching is worse when I get hot.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Fluid filled blisters that hurt may very likely be from a herpetic virus. Herpes simplex usually causes blistering sores in area of mucus membranes rather than around underwear lines though. Shingles, which is reactivation of the chicken pox virus (and is also a herpetic virus), also can cause these blistering sores, but it is characteristically on only one side of the body, not both. For either of these, an oral antiviral medication would be indicated. As we can't really kill viruses, it will lessen the viral load and decrease symptoms, allowing them to clear up faster with less chance of complications.

I recommend that you go in to an urgent care clinic and have this looked at. There they can prescribe medication as appropriate.

When you go in, specifically ask to see a doctor, so that you aren't assigned a PA or NP who will not have as much training and experience as a physician.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh