• question-icon

Suggest treatment for herpes zoster

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Infections
Question: I have herpes zoster. I always cover it with a clean bandage and gauze daily during the outbreak. my boyfriend says I gave him herpes on his finger. how is that possible if there was no skin on skin contact and he only touched the edge of my bandage. His story is completely different and more elaborate than mine. I tested his story and it wouldn't be possible on what he's claiming. I'm asking you to look at his picture and tell me if this is a sign of herpes.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be herpes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but after inspecting the picture you have send , this lesion could be herpes if the blister becomes more extensive , fluid filled and painful .. otherwise it is unlikely to be due to herpes transmission . However, the common causes of herpes transmission are kissing, or direct skin-to-skin contact during vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has an active infection. It is possible, however, to spread the virus via the fingers (i.e., if someone touches an active sore and then touches a mucous membrane), but it is very unlikely that herpes sores develop on the fingers.. For this reason it is imperative not to touch active sores in your mouth or on your genitals, and, if you do, to wash your hands as soon as possible afterwards. It's recommended that people with active sores (regardless of location) avoid intimate contact until the sores are completely healed.

Additional, though much less likely, transmission may occur from a person who has herpes with no active sores through the shedding of virus particles from the skin of the infected person and contact with the mucous membranes of another person (called asymptomatic transmission).
This means that in all conditions , for you to transmit herpes, the virus needs to come in contact with the mucus membrane of another person..
I hope I answered your question. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman