Suggest treatment for herpes zoster

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My family member got affected from Nagin(Herpes zoster) from 3-4 days . can i get more help on this . how to cure
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly elaborate and send pictures

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand the concern for Herpes zoster infection in your family member. I humbly request you to provide me additional details regarding the skin condition:

- What is the age of your family member- male or female. If female then any pregnancy or feeding baby.

- What are the area affected with extent and size of blisters.

- Any pain over the affected area.

- If pain is present then is it - mild/ moderate/severe.

- What is the nature of pain dull/ throbbing or penetrating.

- Any redness over the area. If yes then is it mild/ moderate/severe.

I request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:

YYYY@YYYY

with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 minutes later
Thank you doctor for reply..

Patient is Female and feeding to baby of 3 months.

Intital stage , it was red ..then now there are 3 black spots ..she is saying ..pain is their like Jalan only ...

I am in office .. i cant send pics now...will send u later.

It is on her stomuch...I m worried ..some people are saying ..its very dangerous ..and suggested us for some ayurvedic and tantra treatment.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO TANTRA TREATMENT PLEASE

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome again and thanks for posting details. There is no issue you can send the pictures later.

I can understand your concern towards herpes zoster. The very first and important information to provide you is that - shingles occurs only one time in life. It begins as multiple blisters on one side of body and specifically at one region only. The blisters remain for a period of around 7-14 days and then forms scab which falls off in next 2 weeks.

So the complete problem is for 2 weeks only. You need to immunize the baby as soon as possible for chicken pox if not done before.

I suggest you to give her a painkiller tablet such as paracetamol (Ultracet- is safe) by mouth for two times a day after meals. This will reduce the pain intensity and if pain persists then you can take it for 3 times at a gap of 8 hours. For the itching part antihistamine tablet such as Loratadine (lorfast) would be most appropriate to be taken in the same manner as for paracetamol.

You can ask her to apply a calamine lotion (caladryl lotion or linical lotion) to soothe the skin.

Do not apply any kind of home remedies creams or ointments or any pastes as it alter the actual picture of the problem. NO TANTRA TREATMENT PLEASE- do not waste your money and time.

As your relative is young female and also feeding with 4ht day of zoster so anti-viral tablets are not required.

I further request you to not to touch the areas unnecessarily as it can cause further aggravation.

With best wishes of early recovery of the problem.

Dr Sanjay
MD- Dermatology
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 36 minutes later
Thanks a lot !!

I will let u know for any question/queries.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaccinate the 3 months baby for chicken pox.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

You are most welcome to take guidance for any sort of skin issues. My all best wishes for early recovery of your family member.

Do not forget to vaccinate the 3 months baby for chicken pox.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

My wife went to local Dr(BAMS) . She gave her below medicines
Cream - Acivir Cream
Tablets -Ranidam
Ziprax - 200Dt
Combiflam.

Is this treatment looks good according to you ?

Thanks
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultracet contains paracetamol and is quite safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The treatment given by the doctor is quite alright except for the pain killer tablet combiflam. It contains Ibuprofen which I do not give to feeding ladies.

Instead of that I prefer to give Ultracet which contains paracetamol and is quite safe and can be given to feeding females.

Rest of the treatment can be very well continued. She will be completely alright in 2-3 weeks of period.

After 5 th day there will be formation of scabs of brown to black color which will fall off by 14- 20 days. Therefore I also suggest you to not touch or pinch the area or prematurely scratch the scabs.

My all best wishes for early recovery of the lady.

I hope these information will relax you completely. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

For any future guidance regarding skin or related conditions you can ask me directly at:

bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Thanks again...

we dont have ultracet now. will start it from tomorrow. for tonight , shall skip combiflam

Good night

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can start with ultracet form tomorrow.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Best wishes for early recovery.

Good night and sweet dreams.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia