Suggest treatment for herpes infection

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have herpes but am afraid to go to dr for fear o anyone finding out. what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acyclovir tablets, drink plenty and few tests to consider

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at HCM.

I understand the fear of anyone knowing of the herpes outbreaks you have. On the other hand I assume they are very uncomfortable episodes and that cause you a lot of distress.

There is treatment available that you can use in case you have an outbreak. oral acyclovir 400 mg, 3 times a day for 7-10 days is the treatment for the infection. If you have frequent infections than you might go on for a while with Acyclovir 400 mg twice a day to reduce recurrences.
During the time of the treatment make sure you take plenty of water as Acyclovir precipitates and might cause problems with the kidneys so make sure you take at least 2.5 L of water a day while taking Acyclovir.
Ibuprofen high dose might help with pain during the attack

I do not know if in the past you have had tests for other infections like HIV, HeB, HeB, Syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea. If you have never been tested for those especially HIV, Syphilis, Hep B and Hep C I would recommend you to have those tests done as a general check as one sexually transmitted infection puts you at high risk for others. If they are negative than nothing to worry.

Have you ever had general health tests like sugar levels to make sure you do not have diabetes. This would be helpful as sometimes people with diabetes have lower immune system and capacity to fight infections so this might contribute to more frequent activation of herpes infection.
Pap smear would be a good idea if you have not had one in the last 3 years. This is a routine test that is recommended up to 65 years old.

So to conclude:
- Acyclovir 400 mg tablets for treatment and prevention but drink plenty when you use it
- Make some tests to rule out some other Sexually transmitted diseases
- Make some general health tests like sugar levels and Pap smear
- Ibuprofen for painful attacks.
- Avoid sexual intercourse when you feel the episode is happening- reduce the risk of transmission ( intercourse during the active infection is very painful, but even when you feel it is coming and not so painful be aware of transmission)

I hope this answers to your questions but please feel free to ask in case more clarifications are needed.

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad