• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hernia in the groin area

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a hernia that's is protruding more and more, on the right side groin area, it is not causing any pain, but over the last several years,my PSA has slowly increased, from 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, could this hernia problem, be causing stress on the prostate gland and affecting my PSA? I am 72 years old.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hernia is not known to cause any such changes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/*72 - gradual increase in PSA from 4 to 5 to 6 - right inguinal enlarging hernia - painless - wants to know whether the hernia causing stress on prostate and affecting PSA ...
Hernia is not known cause of any stress on prostate or increase PSA.
Advancing age to 72 can be the cause as it is known to cause gradual increase in PSA and there are many other benign causes like urinary tract infection, smoking, prostatitis , Benign enlargement of prostate which again is related to advancing age and many such reasons.
It is imperative to have per-rectal digital examination and ultrasonography to see if there is any problem with prostate for increase in PSA.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon