Suggest treatment for hepatitis B infection

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is HBsag is dangerous.what treatment is available to clear HBsag. what care to be taken for not spreading my 10 years son.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
need thorough investigations as well as clinical evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern for your son..

Now, first of all please don't worry, HbsAg is mainly indicative of the surface antigen of the hepatitis B Virus, positive result means, the particular individual is infected with Hepatitis B Virus, which can be an acute or chronic infection..

For confirmation, Hepatitis B core IgM antibody(anti-HBc IgM), or the presence of HBV DNA detected by molecular assays, should be done..

There's a need for thorough clinical examination by a Gastroenterologist for complete assessment of the clinical features along with these and a few more relevant investigations(a complete Liver function test, screening for HCV, HbeAg and/ Ultrasonography of the whole abdomen)..

Please note that, all these above steps are necessary to determine the exact stage of the disease process along with further prognostication and appropriate management in this regard..

It's mainly transmissible by blood borne contact or bodily fluid exchange (exposure to infectious blood or body fluids containing blood, unprotected sexual intercourse, Intra venous drug abuse etc.)..HBV can be transmitted between family members within households, possibly by contact of 'non-intact' skin or mucous membrane with secretions or saliva containing HBV..

So please let me know a few details so that I can guide you more specifically.. like, when was it detected/ at which stage currently-what's the latest viral load/ is there any treatment started yet/ has your son received immuno prophylaxis yet ?

Treatment depends upon staging, complete clinical features after physical examination, results of all those investigations mentioned above and several other features..

If still no treatment started then, I'd strongly suggest you get scheduled an appointment with a Gastroenterologist at the earliest for all those investigations mentioned earlier along with proper, thorough clinical evaluation for further management..

Please note that, the treatment of Hepatitis B has been improved a lot over decades, and with timely detection and proper follow-ups with the gastroenterologist along with proper anti-viral therapy(if required), one can easily live a healthy life as the virus remains self-limiting and/ dormant in the body..

Please let me know if there's any further queries, i'll be glad to clarify..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee