Suggest treatment for hepatic hemangioma

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have a liver hemangioma which is large,9cm. Lately I can feel a little pain only side. Is there anything to do naturally to help so it won't grow. I keep reading things online about it getting larger and can cause many problems. It is making me rather anxious. I am currently on xarelto after being diagnosed with afib. Could a blood thinner affect a hepatic hemangioma?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Surgery is the only definitive treatment for hemangioma of liver.
Sometimes minimally invasive therapy is also given that includes arterial embolization, radio frequency ablation and liver irradiation.

Recently in a few trials certain medications like sorafenib and bevacizumab have been shown to shrink the hemangioma of liver.

Blood thinners are not a problem and will not affect hepatic hemangioma.
Problem will arise only when the hemangioma ruptures and starts to bleed.

I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.