• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hepatic encephalopathy due to liver failure

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My son has liver disease and no insurance. What treatment can a general practitioner provide for elevated enzymes in the thousands. Is there a charge for this service? The Dr. is prescribing lactulose but he has no confusion His bilirubin is 13 but he is not jaundiced. If there is a service fee do not answer I just can't afford it.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liver transplant.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query.

Firstly I am sorry for the condition of your son.

As per the description is given by you, most likely your child is in Hepatic encephalopathy due to liver failure. Most ammonia in the body forms when protein is broken down by bacteria in the intestines. The liver normally converts ammonia into urea, which is then eliminated in urine.

Ammonia levels in the blood rise when the liver is not able to convert ammonia to urea. This may be caused by cirrhosis or severe hepatitis. Lactulose works by reducing the absorption of ammonia from the gut. The liver normally breaks down ammonia, but in liver disease such as cirrhosis, the blood may bypass the liver, allowing this poisonous substance to pass to the brain.

As his liver functions are in thousands and bilirubin is 13 despite maximum treatment I feel the only thing that can help him is a liver transplant. However, if cash crunches are there you can give him Silymarin for few months. Its a liver rejuvenator (liver may regenerate itself even if only 30% is there). Guduchi is another well-known tonic and rejuvenator, while simultaneously being a powerful blood and liver cleanser can consider it also.

Shodhana chikitsa (detoxification through Panchakarma procedures), XXXXXXX chikitsa (Palliative researched Ayurvedic medicines) and Kayakalpa (rejuvenation)
Request his GP to prescribe him Silymarin.

They can be tried.
But in modern medicine at this level, I think only liver transplant can help.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist