Suggest treatment for hemorrhoids

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have hemorrhoids. When I use hemorrhoid medication I can feel stool stuck in that area. This has been going on for quit a while now. Is this normal what so ever?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's normal

Detailed Answer:

The medication used to treat hemorrhoids locally contains oily components that will help moisten the lacerated mucosa and make it easier for other components to speed up healing process.

This is normal. You need to keep a good local (anal) hygiene.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 19 hours later
My hemorrhoids are not my concern. My concern is the stool being in my rectum and being stuck in my rectum. Is this normal or is it something I should be concerned about?
Another concern is my partner wanting to have anal sex. Since there is stool in that area something just doesn't seem right? To me, it seems it should not be there? Should I see a doctor? Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be concerned,no anal sex...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

The reason why your stool gets stuck in your rectum is due to:
- hemorrhoid ointment you use
- fatty stool (diet high in oily foods, etc.)
- constipation problems.

It is nothing to be concerned although I admit, it is quite fastidious.

With regards to having anal sex, I advise to talk with your partner and try to convince that anal sex is not recommended and neither a healthy sexual intercourse. Especially, at this moment when you are having stool stuck in your rectum.

Furthermore, anal sex will aggravate your actual anal problems, and would be a manner of spreading infectious disease. Please bare in mind that when having anal sex, your rectum and anal mucosa will be injured (due to friction), thus, leading to bleeding.
Next, if stool is still there, it will cause the lacerated mucosa (after having anal sex) to get easily infected. The infection might be spread easily through bloodstream if injured.

You can consult further with a proctologist to evaluate your anal/rectal condition.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida