• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hemiplegic migraines?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Are you familiar with hemiplegic migraines?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, I know about them.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Yes, I am familiar with hemiplegic migraine, a rare condition involving temporary weakness on one side of the body as part of migraine attack. This can involve the face, arm or leg and be accompanied by numbness, or pins and needles. The person may experience speech difficulties, vision problems or confusion. This can be a frightening experience for the individual as these symptoms are similar to those of a stroke.

Please let me know what exactly you seek to know about hemiplegic migraines or the problem you are facing and I would guide you accordingly.

I will await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
What other medications are available to help prevent them? The neurontin makes me so confused and sleepy even at low doses .
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
The triggers need to be identified and eliminated/avoided

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The management of hemiplegic migraines is same as that of other normal migraines. The first thing is to identify the triggers and to avoid them. The triggers can vary from person to person. In some people flashing lights can trigger such attacks. In other, loud noise can be a factor. Alcohol, cheese or chocolate are other known triggers. The triggers need to be identified and avoided.

Treatment with an anticonvulsant (a medicine that is usually used to treat seizures) can be given to control such attacks. A class of drugs called calcium channel blocker can be used to relax and widen your blood vessels and that could lessen such attacks. Regular intake of beta blockers can prevent such attacks altogether. Due to risk of stroke medicines like triptans and ergotamines better be avoided.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Thank you. I appreciate your assistance .
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to contact me back directly if you ever have a health related query in the future. I would be there to assist you.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha