Suggest treatment for hematuria

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hematuria
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Asymptomatic bacteriuria ...possibly

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcaremagic.com for an opinion,
If your urine report has reported microscopic hematuria and you dont have any symptoms of urgency , frequency or burning in urine then you may be suffering from asymptomatic bacteriuria or mild cystitis probably.
This can be confirmed with a urine culture which shall help in isolating the organism causing the same. Ideally there should be no b;ood cells in urine. The most common organism which can cause the same is E.COLI and this can be easily treated with a course of urinary antibiotics which are available on prescription.
Hence suggested that you should opt for urine culture and in the meantime, should increase your water intake to 12-15 glasses a day to allow flushing out of infection sooner.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 37 minutes later
I drink two cups of coffee (20 oz cups) every morning, and only water (2 - 3 thirty-four ounce bottles) every day. Sometimes I have to urinate urgently but I thought that was just because of how much water I drink almost all of the time. I've done this for years, this isn't new. I sometimes, like two or three times a week have a 16 oz. glass of milk with a meal. That is ALL I drink, I haven't had carbonated beverages except a rootbeer float maybe twice a year since 2008. And the only juice I drink is from fruit I juice myself, so I know there isn't anything added to it.

Is there anything else I could or should do until I can see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answered

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I feel that would be enough ...you are already taking good amount of fluids. You just need to get the urine culture test done.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist