Suggest treatment for hematuria while having UTI

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I was released from the hospital after two days of a serious UTI. I was given CEFDINIR 300 mg. by IV. My fever of 101 left me along with my upset stomach and awful headache. My urine was normal when I left SMMC last night. This morning I urinated 3x and the urine was a reddish/pinkish color. No pain or burning when I urinate. I called SMMC hospital and they told me to take the antibiotic CEFDINIR 300mg which I took the 1st pill I/2 hr. ago. SMMC said it could be all the watermelon I ate at SSMC and home last night??? I never had this issue before eating watermelon. Do you think I need to return to SMMC or do you think the med will take care of it? At the start of the UTI, I did have burning sensation, but not today. I'm crippled by 23 hrs. of back surgery in Aug. 2015 and I lost the use of my legs, so returning to SMMC is a big ordeal getting the rescue and engine company to move me.

Thank you
XXXXXXX XXXX
YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematuria is due to UTI ,

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,

Thanks for your query, based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been admitted in hospital for UTI and now getting blood in urine (Hematuria) after returning from hospital .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.

1) Are you taking any blood thinner like Aspirin or drug like Pyridium?

The hematuria that you have is due to severe UTI mostly secondary to Enlarged Prostate which is common at this age and not due to consumption of water melon ..

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please continue antibiotics like Cephalosporin (Cefdinir) along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Please get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water. To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Once you are settled consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis and treatment of Enlarged Prostate .
1) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee