Suggest treatment for hematuria and cough

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: I coughed while urinating for the first time in the morning. My urine was normal until the cough which then caused me to bleed. Its been a week now and I still have a little fresh blood come out in the mornings. By mid day its stopped...until morning again. I can feel the tear internally about mid to top in the tract. Pain for the first day was a 10 while urinating. Now its down to a 4. Is there something I can do to make it heal faster? Do I need to stop drinking sodas for now and only water? I have not had sex since all of this, in fear it would make something worse. My biggest fear is it getting an infection.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to get evaluated .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have dysuria with blood in urine (Hematuria) since 10 days .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have burning urination ,frequency for urination ?
2) Do you have painful ejaculation ?

Hematuria could be due to one of the following few reasons
1) Infection of either bladder or prostate
2) Cancer of the prostate .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Endoscopic Examination of bladder and urethral passage (Cystoscopy).
5) C.T Scan of Kidney ureter and bladder ,

Start taking broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil