Suggest treatment for hematoma on the thigh of a child

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: My 18 yr old granddaughter has a hematoma on the inside of her thigh just above the knee. It is rather large (probably 4"x6"). This happened a week ago. She is a college student & has tried to get to the campus clinic unsuccessfully. They cannot see her until Friday. What do we need to do for her?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will resolve on its own.

Detailed Answer:
Hematomas usually heal on their own. The hematoma in your granddaughter's case is a large one. If it is painful or is gradually increasing in size then it may need to be drained. If there is no pain then she can wait and let it resolve on its own. Usually the hematoma is a smaller one and the skin discoloration spreads in a larger area. This is not worrisome.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D