Suggest treatment for hematoma in arm

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question

My arm looks like this after a blood test this morning. Can I put ice on it?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
This is just minor subcutaneous hematoma which is common after blood tests and it will pull back in short time,for several days. to facilitate this you can put ice on it or heparin gel which can be found at pharmacy. If this become tender and painful then it may indicate thrombophlebitis and you should see doctor, but this rarely happens. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hematoma in arm 45 minutes later
It is a bit tender. I actually felt a bit of pain as soon as she entered the vein with the needle.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
This is expected within first few days. if pain and tenderness progress and redness worsnes or fever occur then it may indicate thrombophlebitis but considering this photo i dont think this is anything seriouss