Suggest treatment for hemangioma

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My granddaughter who is a college XXXXXXX has a black eye that has been diagnosed as an hemangioma. She has an appointment tomorrow at a Wake Forest Hospital. What type of treatment can she expect for this problem. She is danger of a stroke?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Increased risk depends on location and size

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Hemangiomas are noncancerous growths that form due to an abnormal collection of blood vessels. Though rarely found in eyes,Yet it can be present any where in body.
A number of treatment options are available like
corticosteroid medication
laser treatment
Surgical removal
It increases the risk of stroke but risk depends on the location and size of hemangioma.
Don't panic consult your opthalmologist,He would do basic investigations.Any further suggestion can be given after reports are available.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana