Suggest treatment for height increase after puberty

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have twin daughters both 15 yrs of age. They got their first period at age 10. They had a growth spurt at that time. After that from age 11-15 they have shown no increase in growth. Their current height and wt are:
daughter 1 - 151 cm and 42 kg (15 yrs)
daughter 2 - 152 cm and 44 kg (15 yrs)
We have done the growth hormone test (in the morning after 12 hrs fasting) with thyrocare (C.L.I.A method) and the results are as under:
daughter 1: 0.13 ng/ml
daughter 2: 0.26 ng/ml
The normal levels for females is up to 8 ng/ml. We are a bit concerned about their growth. Is there anything that can be done for them to put on at least a couple of inches more in thier height?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sir, sorry but we are late.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hi! welcome to HCM. Sir, we all know girls attain maximum height by puberty and do not grow much after menarche. So, once your daughters showed signs of puberty, we should have stopped it there and then. Menarche causes bone fusion and then girls do not gain height. So we are late, it is not Growth hormone which is responsible, it is puberty setting in early. So do not waste time and money on assessing GH. Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 7 hours later
So what you are saying is that there is no scope for further growth at this stage?
Brief Answer:
sorry but yes!

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, exactly that is the situation. though I am Sorry to tell you that, but we really can't help them with height. regards!