Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for height increase after puberty

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 770 Questions
I have twin daughters both 15 yrs of age. They got their first period at age 10. They had a growth spurt at that time. After that from age 11-15 they have shown no increase in growth. Their current height and wt are:
daughter 1 - 151 cm and 42 kg (15 yrs)
daughter 2 - 152 cm and 44 kg (15 yrs)
We have done the growth hormone test (in the morning after 12 hrs fasting) with thyrocare (C.L.I.A method) and the results are as under:
daughter 1: 0.13 ng/ml
daughter 2: 0.26 ng/ml
The normal levels for females is up to 8 ng/ml. We are a bit concerned about their growth. Is there anything that can be done for them to put on at least a couple of inches more in thier height?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sir, sorry but we are late.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hi! welcome to HCM. Sir, we all know girls attain maximum height by puberty and do not grow much after menarche. So, once your daughters showed signs of puberty, we should have stopped it there and then. Menarche causes bone fusion and then girls do not gain height. So we are late, it is not Growth hormone which is responsible, it is puberty setting in early. So do not waste time and money on assessing GH. Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for height increase after puberty 7 hours later
So what you are saying is that there is no scope for further growth at this stage?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
sorry but yes!

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, exactly that is the situation. though I am Sorry to tell you that, but we really can't help them with height. regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor